Monday, April 2, 2012

Crown Woes and Miss Greater Rochester



I didn’t realize how much of an acquired skill securing a MAO local crown really is until yesterday- my first official appearance as Miss Western NY.  It is NOT like riding a bike!  In an act of desperation as the clock counted down to the time I needed to leave for the Miss Greater Rochester pageant, I googled/consulted/searched a ridiculous amount of resources for tips and tricks.  I tried just about everything I read to no avail: using pantyhose a similar color to my hair- too flimsy, elastic in a diamond formation-not enough security in the middle, using snap clips instead of bobbi pins- couldn’t grab enough hair for stability.  The end result was returning to old faithful-elastic in an X formation with bobbi pins at each corner.  Miss NY Kaitlin Monte suggested a shoelace in a spider web shape, adding that to my list to try.   

OH! I also stapled the elastic to secure it, resulting in a staple in the hand (including drawn blood…ugh!)   Even with all that effort I wouldn’t say it was successful since every photo I’m in my crown is practically at a 45 degree angle.  THE GOOD NEWS… I have 11 more months to perfect it my strategy… wachaaaaaa!

Dare I say this is the MAO version of “initiation”?  You’re not allowed the luxury of a curved crown that actually slightly conforms to the natural head shape unless you win a state title- muahahahaaa.  Mull that over!

. . . . . . 

On to the event that matters – the Miss Greater Rochester/Upstate New York Pageant!!  Bravo to the MGR board.  This organization has been sending (great) titleholders to Miss NY for as long as I can remember and I’m sure even long before.  It is so clear that they truly care and value the organization and the opportunity it offers young women.  It’s not just about finding a winner here, it was about promoting a positive experience for all the participants- and that was evident.

Chelsea Prophet (MGR 2011) is a gorgeous human being- regal is the perfect word to describe her.  I’ve watched Chelsea compete from afar for the past few years and she is always striking and leaves an impression.  :-)

The best part about being a visiting local titleholder at a pageant… No Pressure!  I had such a fun time cheering on each of the contestants, playing photographer, tweeting!, and being an objective spectator.  I have to say, it is as nerve-wracking and exciting to wait for results both when you’re on the stage and in the audience.  It was a blast to get to know some of the members of the Miss NY Class of 2012!  Pictures are below… upstate/central/western ny #represent!

Congratulations to all the contestants, the organization, and the winners (Nina and Rayna!) for a very enjoyable show.


 Visiting Titleholders:
Katelynn Smith - Empire Rose, Lonna McCary- Buffalo, Desiree Wiley- Niagara, Sashless- Western NY

 Gorgeous winners and judges

 All contestants

 Miss Greater Rochester 2011 - Chelsea Prophet


 Miss Upstate NY - Rayna, Miss Greater Rochester - Nina

 Buffalo Gals

Elisabeth (Miss NY 2007)

Love to our new winners!!

1 comment: